- 5-8 whole tomatoes
- 1-4 serrano peppers*
- * You can take out the seeds if desired but use gloves. I just leave the seeds in when I make salsa, but I remove them when I eat chiles by themselves. Don’t touch the seeds or chiles with your bare hands, if possible. Definitely don’t touch your eyes after handling chiles. I learned this the hard way.
- 1 pepper – mild salsa, almost like tomato sauce
- 2 peppers – moderately spicy
- 3+ peppers – very spicy
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ – ½ bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves peeled raw garlic
- Boil tomatoes & peppers for about 15-20 minutes
- Cool & strain – Carefully pour out most of the water (STEAM “water vapor” can cause significant burns, so let it cool before straining the tomatoes and peppers)
- Put tomatoes and peppers in a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth
- Add peeled raw garlic to blender. Add salt (to taste) and cilantro and blend again.
- Variations: Try different ingredients (onions, etc.), different types of chili peppers, tomatoes, or quantities as you get more proficient with the process. Look up some of your favorite recipes and share with family and friends.